Author Topic: Garbled characters from database import (SOLVED)  (Read 17847 times)

phoenix

Re: Garbled characters from database import
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 12:46:30 AM »
Not a problem. I well know how work can bit you.

I did notice that the old database is what is showing up right now, the one from before the move. I first noticed it about 3:30 or so. The formatting is correct, but it's the wrong database. I don't know if this is because I'm seeing an old echo or if it's a placeholder or what.

G.C. Admin

• Performance Based Hosting
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 01:14:09 AM »
oh oh that sounds bad. i am thinking that the server company grabbed the wrong database and imported it. Please verify.

If this is the case they most likely drop the last set of tables.

Frank
Frank Doud
Owner/Operator
G.C. Solutions

phoenix

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 01:27:12 AM »
The last post showing up in the forum is from 4 March and the information still has it set to the terra2 naming convention from Lunar Pages (I'm getting the errors about the theme directory being wrong that I got that first day), so they loaded the initial database from the move. I don't know if there is anyway to recover the database from 3pm this afternoon at this point. If not, obviously we would prefer the most recent. I'm going to kick myself about not making the backup if that's the case (I seriously did consider it).

What I fear happened is that they took the database from the directory you created in the root and carried out the DROP and import from that.

G.C. Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 01:32:15 AM »
The last post showing up in the forum is from 4 March and the information still has it set to the terra2 naming convention from Lunar Pages (I'm getting the errors about the theme directory being wrong that I got that first day), so they loaded the initial database from the move. I don't know if there is anyway to recover the database from 3pm this afternoon at this point. If not, obviously we would prefer the most recent. I'm going to kick myself about not making the backup if that's the case (I seriously did consider it).

What I fear happened is that they took the database from the directory you created in the root and carried out the DROP and import from that.

What you fear is correct. The themes are of course a easy fix. If the chars are correct. I would bite the bullet and call it good.

Frank
Frank Doud
Owner/Operator
G.C. Solutions

phoenix

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 01:36:57 AM »
Is there any way they can run that on last night's backup? I would rather lose about 15 hours and have the formatting messed up if the fix doesn't work on the backup (we have a plan where folks will be able to copy and paste from the backup forum) than go back to to March 4th again losing about 2 days of posts.

G.C. Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 01:40:20 AM »
Is there any way they can run that on last night's backup? I would rather lose about 15 hours and have the formatting messed up if the fix doesn't work on the backup (we have a plan where folks will be able to copy and paste from the backup forum) than go back to to March 4th again losing about 2 days of posts.

Sure i will restore last nights back up

Frank
Frank Doud
Owner/Operator
G.C. Solutions

phoenix

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 01:45:23 AM »
Thanks. That script should work on it. At least the indications on the site I found them on were that it would.

G.C. Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
The site has been restored. What what script are you referring to?

Frank
Frank Doud
Owner/Operator
G.C. Solutions

phoenix

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 01:51:34 AM »
I was talking about the conversion one to find the odd characters - hoping it could be run in this restore to see if it would work. If it failed, nothing lost, but if it worked, we at least gain something out of the lost of time.

G.C. Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 01:53:23 AM »
I was talking about the conversion one to find the odd characters - hoping it could be run in this restore to see if it would work. If it failed, nothing lost, but if it worked, we at least gain something out of the lost of time.

Sure thing.
Its really not a script more of a command.

Frank
Frank Doud
Owner/Operator
G.C. Solutions

phoenix

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 01:59:14 AM »
Ah, okay. If you could run that and we can hope for the best. :D It's been about 16 years since I formally studied computer programming, though I had a small stint of C modeling when I got my masters. ;) So I may not know the proper terminology all the time. Think of Fezini "Pull that thing! And that other thing!"

G.C. Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 02:04:40 AM »
Ah, okay. If you could run that and we can hope for the best. :D It's been about 16 years since I formally studied computer programming, though I had a small stint of C modeling when I got my masters. ;) So I may not know the proper terminology all the time. Think of Fezini "Pull that thing! And that other thing!"

Ahh its all good. I was just confused. Since the server managment company did it the first time around. I have sent them a ticket for there wicked ways. And they will do the 2nd one. Might want to check your forums they are most likely open. Unless of course you have them in maint mode.

Frank
Frank Doud
Owner/Operator
G.C. Solutions

phoenix

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 02:09:29 AM »
i just popped it back into maintenance mode noticing it was open. So it should be stable right now. I appreciate getting this run.

G.C. Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 02:14:34 AM »
No worries.
I pay this server managment company quite a $$ per month. so it is good to get some work out of them every now and then.

Frank
Frank Doud
Owner/Operator
G.C. Solutions

phoenix

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 02:21:17 AM »
Frank,

I know that feeling. At least you know they are awake and doing something productive rather than watching yet another youtube video. LOL I'm trying to keep a positive outlook on all this and I have to say that the fact it is a Farscape forum and nothing seemed to go right for them on the first go keeps me positive. :D