Author Topic: SMF & Spam  (Read 8811 times)

hkymre

SMF & Spam
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:45:30 AM »
Our forum (SMF 1.1.7) has had a sudden influx of new members over the last 48hrs all posting spam.
Some are Russian emails mail.ru, most are gmail accounts.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Iry

Re: SMF & Spam
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:14:28 PM »
Not on my site.

I would suggest adding the mod below.  It'll help keep bots from auto-regging quite well.  You can even add your own so if someone develops a bot for your site you can quickly change it.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1078
Need help with server software or computers in general? PM me, post on the forum or add me to MSN.

G.C. Admin

• Performance Based Hosting
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »
Our forum (SMF 1.1.7) has had a sudden influx of new members over the last 48hrs all posting spam.
Some are Russian emails mail.ru, most are gmail accounts.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Might want to check out this thread:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=273816

Frank
Frank Doud
Owner/Operator
G.C. Solutions

crash56

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 06:54:04 PM »
We have several layers of protection in place at our forum.  We use Member Approval for registration, the Are You Human? modification package, and a CAPTCHA modification package. 

Despite all that protection, our forum got nailed by e-mail harvesters.  Humans do the registering to get past the first 3 layers of protection, and then the bots can get in and strip every single e-mail off the forum.  So we added a member group based on posts (members need 3 posts to get out of the initial member group) that cannot see profiles or any e-mails (other than those that people are foolish enough to put right in the threads).  Between all those measures, we've been bot clean for several months.  <Knock wood>

razorbiker

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:58:09 PM »
I have member approval set on all my forums so that I SEE every member that registers (and this even includes my 17,000+ member forum). I also  set up a membergroup which is still for registered users, however SUSPECT new members are placed in this category since the category has NO POSTING Privileges. When and IF they contact me stating they can't post...I know it's a REAL person.

Wally

Frobozz

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but for the record, this mod has worked great in bot stopping in several SMF sites that I manage.

It's called "Unrecognizable forms".  It messes behind the scenes with the field layout and order so that when the bots tried to register, they bomb out.  Here's the link to the mod:  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1812